Tacos, Guacamole & Salsa
Tacos, Guacamole & Salsa
Recipe NotesGluten, nut and soy free!
- In place of the brown lentils, dice a tin of Nutmeat into bite-sized chunks or use Casserole Mince (both Vegie Delights Brand).
- Sprinkle some grated vegan Bio Cheese (My Life brand) on top of each Taco.
- Add more of each spice if needed.
- In place of taco shells, use corn chips or wraps.
- Serve with Raw Cashew Mayonnaise (p.23) as an alternative to guacamole.
- 2 small onions (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ green capsicum (bell pepper), bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground coriander (ground cilantro)
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 ¼ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- ½ tablespoon savoury yeast flakes (nutritional yeast)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tin brown lentils, drained (1 cup cooked)
- 1 tin champignons (mushrooms), drained and sliced (220g) (7 ½ oz)
- 1 tin red kidney beans, drained ((1 cup cooked))
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (corn starch) + 1 tablespoon cool water, made into a paste
- ¾ cup water (200ml) (200g)
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon savoury yeast flakes (nutritional yeast)
- 1 tin diced tomatoes (400g, 14oz)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salad & Tacos
- ¼ head of lettuce, shredded
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ large continental cucumber, diced
- 24 taco shells
Cook all ingredients in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat until thick. Remove from the heat and transfer to a heat-proof bowl.
Put MC on an angle (this will reduce splatter) and add all ingredients to the TM bowl and stir for 3 seconds on Speed 3.
Cook for 10 minutes at 100°C (212°F) on Speed 1 and transfer to heat-proof bowl.
Mash the avocados until creamy with a fork and stir in remaining ingredients.
Purée all ingredients for 10 seconds on Speed 4-5 until smooth. Scrape down the sides and repeat as necessary. The guacamole should be creamy.
In a medium-sized frypan, sauté onions, garlic and capsicum in oil over a medium-high heat until soft.
Add in the coriander (cilantro), paprika, oregano, cumin and yeast flakes. Keep stirring until you can smell the spices strongly.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Reduce to a medium-low heat and simmer for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat, cover and set aside.
Chop onion, garlic and capsicum for 2 seconds on Speed 7.
Add in the oil and sauté at 100°C (212°F) on Speed 1 for 5 minutes.
Add in the coriander (cilantro), paprika, oregano, cumin and yeast flakes and cook for 2 minutes at Varoma temperature on Speed 1.
Add in remaining ingredients and stir for 5 seconds on Speed 3.
Put MC on an angle (reduces splatter) and cook for 15 minutes at 100°C (212°F) on Speed soft. Transfer to the Thermoserver.
Salad and Tacos Procedure
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
Separate the taco shells and heat upside down on a large baking tray for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare each of the salad ingredients. Keep each salad in its own bowl.
Each person makes his/her own tacos, so place the bowls of mince, salsa, guacamole, salads and heated taco shells in the middle of the table. Layer each taco in this way: a large spoonful of mince, a small spoonful each of guacamole and salsa and a small amount of each of the salads. Guaranteed to be a messy, but oh so yummy, event!
Recipe adapted from Stuart Kinnon’s veggie tacos recipe.